Friday, May 27, 2011

I Refuse To Say Anything Corny

What is it!!??

Artistic shot through
the bowl











I’m sure most cooking blog posts start with something clever or informative about cooking, but I’m gonna start with a question.  As someone who cooks nearly every day, I admit that I should know this, but I don’t.  What the hell are those weird little nubbins that you sometimes find in peppers?  Is it a baby pepper?  Am I performing a pepper abortion?  I mean, I believe in a pepper’s right to choose…but doesn’t this end up being my choice?   Sorry baby peppers.  Anyway, red (baby?) peppers, tomatoes, diced green chiles, jalapenos, cilantro, some cumin, some chipotles, corn, tomato puree, and a secret ingredient, and I’m in business for Black Bean Corn Salsa.  NO, I will not tell you the secret ingredient, but it is what gives this salsa its tang!  


So here’s the deal with this salsa.  I have tried MULTIPLE recipes, but nothing could compare to my favorite store bought salsa:  the amazing, the magnificent, Desert Pepper Salsa.  Their Peach Mango Salsa rocks my world, but their Black Bean Corn Salsa is a-mah-zing (a la Happy Endings if you’ve seen that show, which I recommend you do—it’s HILAR).  



So unlike most of my recipes that I follow, I made this one up.  I dorkishly made a list of the ingredients in the Desert Pepper salsa (in descending order), and did a little kitchen experiment to duplicate.  My bro and his wife were good sports and agreed to test-drive this recipe with their co-workers, and they all gave me some good feedback so I could refine and improve.  With some tweaks to the amounts of tomatoes, onions, and spices, I arrived at my happy cooking place.  


Cooking without a recipe makes me feel so official!  And in the spirit of Nicki Minaj, and mock narcissism, “all you haters mad because I’m so established!”   

Black Bean And Corn Salsa:  I Refuse To Say Anything Corny



No comments:

Post a Comment